Alabama football took to Bryant-Denny Stadium Saturday for the first of two fall scrimmages. With light rain and 82-degree weather, head coach Nick Saban looks for consistency.
Notes from warm-ups, prior to scrimmage
- Redshirt junior wide receiver Chris Black (ankle) and senior running back Kenyan Drake were both limited in warmups. Drake wasn’t wearing a non-contact jersey and didn’t appear to have anything tapped or braced.
- True freshman running back Damien Harris got reps with the first-team offense, while Bo Scarbrough (knee) was limited.
- Tight ends worked on blocking assignments first, and then junior O.J. Howard led the group in pass-catching drills, followed by senior Ty Flournoy-Smith.
- Sophomore wide receivers ArDarius Stewart and Robert Foster led both lines in position drills.
- True freshmen receivers Deionte Thompson and Daylon Charlot both had a few solid catches.
- Senior quarterback Jake Coker hit on a few throws. His timing with receivers is improving.
- David Cornwell, Blake Barnett and Cooper Bateman all were in the second group of quarterbacks.
- Junior Alec Morris stood behind Coker as usual.
- Sophomore left tackle Cam Robinson looked strong in offensive line drills.
- Defensive backs Eddie Jackson, Ronnie Harrison and Bradley Sylve broke on the ball well in drills.
- ESPN College GameDay analyst Kirk Herbstreit and former head coach and college football analyst Lou Holtz were both in Tuscaloosa for Saturday’s scrimmage. Herbstreit watched the quarterbacks.
- Coach Saban will address the media at 3:30 inside Bryant-Denny Stadium.
- Stats from the scrimmage will be released later.