Alabama football’s Bryce Young and Will Anderson Jr. were each recognized as semifinalists for postseason awards, the Maxwell Football Club announced Monday afternoon.
Young is one of 15 candidates for the Maxwell Award, presented annually to recognize the top player in college football. Anderson is part of a group of 18 semifinalists for the Bednarik Award, which is awarded to the nation’s most outstanding defensive player.
Alabama has claimed four Maxwell Awards in the past, including DeVonta Smith (2020), Tua Tagovailoa (2018), Derrick Henry (2015) and AJ McCarron (2013). The Crimson Tide have also seen two players take home the Bednarik, first with Jonathan Allen (2016) followed a year later by Minkah Fitzpatrick (2017).
- Earned the starting job after spending his freshman season backing up Mac Jones
- Thrown for 2,453 yards and 26 touchdowns compared to three interceptions on 187-of-267 passing
- Leads the SEC and ranks fourth nationally in passing touchdowns while ranking second in the league and fifth in the nation for pass efficiency rating (177.1)
- Ranks second in the conference in both passing yards and completion percentage (70.0) while ranking 10th and 11th nationally in each category
Will Anderson Jr.
- One of the nation’s top defenders who has started every game since arriving on campus
- Leads all Division I defenders in tackles for loss with 17 (-75 yards) while ranking third nationally in sacks at nine (-58 yards)
- Ranks second on UA with 53 total tackles to go with four quarterback hurries and a pass breakup
Finalists for each award will be announced on Nov. 23. The winners of the 85th Maxwell Award and 27th Chuck Bednarik Award will be announced as part of the ESPN Home Depot College Football Awards Show which will be broadcast live on ESPN on Dec. 9.
*Get the BEST Alabama football insider information, message board access, and recruiting coverage today! SIGN UP HERE to unlock our subscriber only content!*
Patrick Dowd is a Reporter for Touchdown Alabama Magazine. You can follow him on Twitter, via Pat_Dowd77