The sun wasn’t too unbearable for Alabama as it took to Thomas-Drew Field, closing out a first full week of practice Friday afternoon. Its first scrimmage game is set for Saturday at 1:30 pm.
Practice notes from Friday’s session
- True freshman Lester Cotton was absent; however, the reason is not serious. He’s been getting reps at left tackle on Alabama’s third-team offense.
- Redshirt freshman cornerback Marlon Humphrey (pulled muscle) is back at full speed. He worked beside the second group of defensive backs.
- Redshirt junior wide receiver Chris Black (ankle) remains limited, yet he isn’t wearing a non-contact jersey. Black did not participate in pass-catching drills. His left ankle was taped.
- Senior Jake Coker headlined all quarterbacks in drills. He displayed a few accurate passes to ArDarius Stewart and Calvin Ridley.
- True freshman Minkah Fitzpatrick remains at Star in Alabama’s first-team dime package.
- Junior defensive back Maurice Smith lined up at Money.
- Cyrus Jones (senior) and Anthony Averett (sophomore) lined up at both corner spots.
- Senior Reggie Ragland was back working beside Reuben Foster at inside linebacker.
- Former Ohio State Buckeyes running back Maurice Clarett was inside Alabama’s practice facility. He will speak to the team Friday.
Stephen M. Smith is a senior analyst and columnist for Touchdown Alabama Magazine and SB Nation. You can “like” him on Facebook or “follow” him on Twitter, via @ESPN_Future.