Alabama football’s John Metchie III has been named to the 2021 Biletnikoff Award Watch List announced Thursday by the Tallahassee (Fla.) Quarterback Club.
Metchie III is among 51 candidates from around the country named to the preseason list for the award recognizing the nation’s top pass-catcher. Alabama has had three Biletnikoff winners in program history, including two in the last three seasons. DeVonta Smith added to his collection of awards in 2020 by taking home the Biletnikoff, joining his former teammate Jerry Jeudy who took home the honor in 2018. Amari Cooper was the Crimson Tide’s initial winner, earning the distinction in 2014.
JOHN METCHIE III
Wide Receiver, Junior
- Steps into the Tide’s No. 1 receiver role for his junior season after a solid 2020 campaign
- Totaled 916 yards and six touchdowns on 55 catches as a sophomore
- Averaged 16.7 yards per catch to rank seventh in the SEC
- Converted a first down or found his way into the end zone on 35 of his receptions in 2020
- Played in 13 games as a freshman, accumulating 23 yards on his four receptions that season
The Biletnikoff Award has been presented annually since 1994 by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club Foundation to recognize the top pass-catcher in college football. The award is named in honor of former Florida State and Oakland Raiders receiver Fred Biletnikoff. The 2021 winner will be announced at the ESPN Home Depot College Football Awards Show in early December.
This information was received via a recent press release.
*Get the BEST Alabama football insider information, message board access, and recruiting coverage today! SIGN UP HERE to unlock our subscriber only content!*
Patrick Dowd is a Reporter for Touchdown Alabama Magazine. You can follow him on Twitter, via Pat_Dowd77