Alabama football suits up for its second scrimmage Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium in 89-degree weather. Hopes of ending the saga at quarterback starts now.
True sophomore cornerback Tony Brown has permanently changed his jersey number from 2 to 7. He will be used a lot on special teams this season, per Alabama head coach Nick Saban.
Notes from Saturday’s warmups
- Alabama tight ends worked with coach Bobby Williams on pass-catching drills. Junior O.J. Howard led the group, followed by Ty Flournoy-Smith and Michael Nysewander.
- Quarterback Jake Coker was seen leading one of the lines. Alec Morris and a walk-on wearing No. 10 both filed behind him.
- Redshirt freshman David Cornwell led the other group. He was followed by Cooper Bateman, Blake Barnett and a walk-on wearing No. 19.
- Wide receiver ArDarius Stewart led one group through drills, and was followed by Richard Mullaney, Cam Sims, Armani Purifoye and Daylon Charlot.
- Redshirt junior receiver Chris Black led the other group, followed by Robert Foster, Calvin Ridley, Deionte Thompson and JaMichael Willis.
- Junior Alphonse Taylor was worked at first-team right guard. The remaining offensive line is the same with Ross Pierschbacher (LG), Cam Robinson (LT), Ryan Kelly (C) and Dominick Jackson (RT).
- Defensive backs worked on breaking on the ball with coach Mel Tucker.
- Senior Denzel Devall led Alabama’s outside linebackers through pass rushing drills, followed by Ryan Anderson, Tim Williams, Rashaan Evans.
- Reggie Ragland and Dillon Lee led all inside linebackers through drills with defensive coordinator Kirby Smart.